My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Beginning of the Courtyard....

Today Levi and Isaiah started work on the Courtyard. It is really taking shape! The idea is a winding path from the Quilted Garden to the Vertical Garden. It will meander through beds of annuals and perennials. Today they finished laying the Typar and setting the path with bricks. It was very fun to watch it all come together. It really makes it all mesh and flow!

I also started work on planting the second wall. I decided that doing it in blocks would be fun! So it will somewhat resemble a patchwork quilt. Not quite so random as the other one!

I know you all are wondering so I will tell you that the dirt has settled very nicely! I am not afraid for the plants I planted today, I think they are quite safe. It took about a week and half for the dirt to completely settle. I am really glad I waited because the dirt dropped about two feet! I couldn't imagine planting before it settled! Also, the plants that are doing exceptionally well are as follows: Alyssum, Petunias, Parsley, Phlox, Mustard, Joi Choi.
From left to right, what I planted in the new wall is as follows: Various Red Lettuce, Hybrid Phlox, Redbor Kale, Mustard and Endive, Alyssum (Wonderland Deep Rose), Swiss Chard (Bright Lights)

1 comment: